Cheese covered by the Protected Designation of Origin Arzúa-Ulloa is made from natural, raw, full fat or pasteurized cow's milk, from the Galician, Friesian, brown Alpine breeds and their crosses blonde.
These cheeses come in 0.5 to 3.5 kg. pieces The area of production of both milk and cheese comprises themunicipalities of the region of Arzúa, Melide, A Ulloa and Chantada, along with other neighbouring areas, so that the covered area is located in the center of Galicia.
The P.O.D. Arzúa-Ulloa covers the following types of cheese:
- Arzúa-Ulloa: A soft cheese, made with raw or pasteurized milk, with a minimum maturity of six days that presents lenticular or cylindrical shape with rounded edges. Its bark is smooth and elastic, dark, bright, clean and smooth and light yellow. The colour of the paste is uniform, it is between white ivory and pale yellow, glossy, with no cracks, presenting an aspect a little fluffy, with small, angular or rounded eyes irregularly distributed. Their diameter is between 120 and 260 mm and its height between 50 and 120 mm, but it cannot be bigger than its radius.
- Farm Arzúa-Ulloa: Made from raw or pasteurized milk, with the particularity that this type of cheese comes entirely from cows on the same farm. The sensory characteristics of these cheeses are the aroma of fresh milk and yogurt and butter aroma appearing as it matures, with hints of vanilla, cream and nuts. The flavor is slightly salty, with a characteristic touch of acidity.
- Cured Arzúa-Ulloa: Made from, raw or pasteurized cow´s milk. It has a minimum maturity period of six months. Its shape is also lenticular or cylindrical and the upper horizontal face may be slightly concave. Undifferentiated crust has a very intense, bright, yellow greasy appearance. Its weight ranges between 0.5 and 2.0 kg. The diameter is between 120 and 200 mm and the height between 30 and 100 mm. Cured Arzúa-Ulloa cheese is characterized by its hardness, it is difficult to cut, and can break into splinters, mainly on the edges. Its aroma is very intense, very evolved dairy type of aroma, with a pervasive fragrace and somewhat spicy. Its flavor is more salty, with less acidity and aromas predominantly buttery with hints of vanilla and nuts.
Technical data (2014)
- Livestock holdings: 1,222
- Cheese factories: 21
- Production: 3,209 tons
- Estimated economic value: 19.4 million euros